Thomas Liddon Sheridan

Personal Information


October 12, Thomas Liddon Sheridan was called to Glory. He was 82, and
had been my husband for 62 years. The previous day, he fell and hit his
head, fracturing his skull. This caused internal bleeding into the
brain. After a few hours of semi-consciousness, he went into a deep
coma and died at 7:30 on Thursday morning. Liddon was born in
Jacksonville, FL. When he was 8 months old, his parents moved to
Augusta, GA, where his father pastored a large church. He was saved as
a young child, but in his mid-teens he dedicated his life completely to
the Lord. At that time he was given a great love for the Word of God
which never left him. His mother told me of often finding him asleep
with his Bible held tightly to his heart. When he was a senior at Bible
college, studying for the ministry, we met and were married at the end
of that school year. While Liddon was growing up, his father often
brought to Augusta well known Bible teachers, such as Harry Ironside
and William R. Newell for city-wide conferences. Encouraged by such
ministry, he began his life-long practice of in-depth study of the Word
of God. He became increasingly concerned about his church position.
Since he had never heard of anyone meeting just in the Lord’s Name, he
continued studying, praying, and dreaming of a meeting based only on
the Word without sectarian boundaries. Finally, in 1941, through the
influence of his brother-in-law, Virgil Hollingsworth, Jr., he learned
that such meetings did exist. He wrote: After years of discussing the
will of the Lord for a Christian regarding his church position and
wrestling with the decision, and with much prayer, Bro. Hollingsworth
and I resigned our denominational connections, and with our wives and
one newly saved couple, began breaking bread in his home. This was the
birth of what is now Bethany Chapel in Augusta. After about one year,
he went through a time of agonizing prayer and searching before the
Lord, largely due to the fact that he saw the deep pain that his
departure from that church caused his godly parents and others who
could not understand his “new” position. Finally, with real sorrow, he
knew he had no choice but to obey what he plainly saw in Scripture. He
returned to Bethany Chapel, and was back in what he considered his
scriptural church position, never to waver again. For the next few
years he worked at secular jobs, using all available time for prayer
and Bible study. A real scholar, knowing Greek, he was only interested
in “what saith the Scriptures.” Soon, he was preaching throughout the
south most weekends. In 1948, we were commended as missionaries to the
work in what was then Belgian Congo. We returned in 1955 due to
political unrest. Liddon began an itinerant Bible teaching ministry,
and he soon realized that this was God’s path for him. He did this for
the rest of his life—in the Bahamas, Canada and the US. In 1983, we
returned to Nyankunde, our old mission station in Africa, and for six
months he preached and taught the Word. We spent quite a bit of time in
the “bush.” The African Christians fed and housed us in their huts. We
walked many miles and had the privilege of visiting many villages far
from the beaten track. There were many professions of faith. In the
late 1960’s, Lawrence Chambers gave Liddon his model of the tabernacle.
This richly enhanced his ministry. Several years ago, he turned the
model over to Bill Gustafson who uses it in his work. Liddon spent the
last four years ministering locally or in easily accessible meetings.
At the time of his death, he was teaching a weekly Bible class in a
local engineering firm. He loved that class! Also, he was making radio
tapes that were aired weekly in Wrens, GA. He had recently preached a
series on “The Glory of the Church and the Churches” locally. There is
a great emptiness in our hearts, but not for one moment would we wish
him back. At last he is HOME! “Precious in the sight of the Lord is the death of His saints.”

First Name
Thomas Liddon
Last Name


Member for
10 years 41 weeks